Last week Kevin had a dental school interview in Buffalo, New York. Because his wonderful wife works for an airline, he can fly for free, granted it is standby. He made it there just fine and checked into his hotel and even went for wings with a friend who is already a student there. His interview went well and he headed to the airport to come home. The flight that he wanted to get on was full. In fact, everything was full. When it started to look like he wasn’t going to make it for my brother’s wedding the next day, I got desperate. I tried to buy a ticket to anywhere out of that airport on any airline just to try and get him closer to home. No such luck.
Kevin and his friend, Richard then brainstormed and looked for creative ways for him to come home. I was now leaving to go the rehearsal dinner at my parents’ church building. Right before I left, he called me to tell me the plan- Take Amtrak to Cleveland (leaves at midnight, arrives at 4am) and fly home from there in the morning. Oh yeah, after taking a cab and another train to the Cleveland airport. So that is what he did. Boy did he have stories to tell me the next day. He did make it in time for Lucas’s wedding at 3 in the afternoon, which was nice, except that he hadn’t really slept at all. Those of you that know my husband might not believe me when I say this (hahaha) but he can get just a tiny bit cranky when he hasn’t had enough sleep.
Anyways, all is well now. It was a beautiful wedding. Maybe now you all will understand why I roll my eyes when people say to me “If I had your job I would fly somewhere every weekend.”
2 comments:
Getting stuck while flying standby is definitely lame... but holy cow, amtrak to Cleveland, etc? I thought getting stuck in Sacramento, and coming home through San Diego was bad...but now I can't really complain. Well done Burns... the things we'll do for grad school and our fams!
Brandon interviewed there too, he loved the school, disliked the city. What did Kevin think? And where is the wedding day report?
Post a Comment