Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Freaky

So now that I am home, I am loving spending every waking moment with Mini-me and I am very motivated to clean my house. Yesterday morning we went to playgroup at the park with lots of friends such as Robin, Mel, Stephanie and new friend, Lyndsey. We had a good time and I found out that I am not the only LDS woman who dislikes the Scouting program (or as I like to call it, the BS of America).

Then we came home. Mini-me took a nap and I cleaned and cleaned. I think that all of my laundry was actually done for a short period of time yesterday. Then my cousin Lindsay called and said she needed to go to Fiesta Mall and would I like to come. Sure. She picked us up around 1:45 and we were on our way. She babysits a 1-year-old and has one of her own the same age. So we walk into the mall with 3 babys in tow and she says she wants to eat first and we head for the food court. I was glad because I need to go to the bathroom. I go to walk to the restrooms and I notice that they are taped off. I then realized that there were a ton of police officers interviewing people all over the food court. This had just happened:

Police identify attacker in Fiesta Mall stabbings
Jackee Coe and Alex Whitlatch
The Arizona Republic
Apr. 1, 2008 08:40 AM

Mesa police identified the man believe to be involved in two knife attacks at Fiesta Mall as Bernard E. Allen, 25, of Mesa.

The attacks Sunday and Monday, which police say could have been motivated by race, left one man dead and another hospitalized.

Police said Allen bought an 8-inch cooking knife from a mall store about 11 minutes before the first 911 call was made.

According to police, Allen has a history of mental illness and served six years in prison on a murder conviction

Mesa police were called to the mall at Alma School Road and U.S. 60 about 1 p.m. Monday after different witnesses called 911 after seeing a man walking through the mall with a bloody knife, police said. Officers found Allen with a knife sitting on a bench outside an entrance.

Police detained Allen without incident and found the body of 31-year-old Issura Jackson in the men's restroom off the food court.

The incident occurred a day after Lathaniel Clinton Brown, 22, was stabbed in the men's department at Macy's department store, police said.

Brown reported being grabbed him from behind and stabbed in the neck with a knife.

He turned around and said to the man, "What are you doing? I don't even know you."

The assailant then stabbed the victim three times in the shoulder and fled, police said. Brown was in stable condition Monday at Scottsdale Osborne hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

Both victims are Native Americans, and police said the attacks could have been motivated by race but are still investigating. The victims did not know each other or the attacker, according to police.

According to police records, in an interview with investigators, Allen said that he felt "disrespected" by Jackson and had to stab him.

"It's important to put this into perspective," Mesa Police Chief George Gascón said Monday. "Malls and certainly the Mesa malls are very safe and there is very good security at this mall."

Police said the suspect has a criminal history and has been involved in gang activity, though they don't believe the attacks were gang-related. They said he was released two years ago from prison after serving time for murder.

Bernard was booked on one count of first-degree murder and one count of aggravated assault.

I am still wierded out.

4 comments:

Melanie M. McKinnon said...

that is crazy! i just saw that on the news this morning but to be there right after it happened, i can't imagine. what a nightmare.

i don't go to the fiesta mall anymore because of one instance i had where two mexican men followed me at a distance for about a half hour around the entire mall. i was so grateful to get out but i'm too scared to go back expecially now with the stabbings. thats no good.

hope you are recovering ok. it was fun to see you!

Tori :) said...

That is super scary!!

Anonymous said...

you have to give me credit for making up the term "BS of America"

stephanie said...

"bs of america" is sweet. i'm totally going to use that. i've never really liked the fiesta mall. it creeped me out long before i heard this crazy story!