Monday, November 03, 2008

It's almost over!!!

This post may just put you to sleep, so you may want to skip it. Here's the deal: I read the booklet that came in the mail explaining the ballot propositions. I feel as though I have a pretty good understanding of them and I am going to try to explain them (or at least what I understand of them) in plain English.

Let me just say that the special interest groups have been busy this year. They love to write these things so sound simple for the voting public when they certainly aren't. Many of them are being completely misrepresented on signs and in ads.

Prop 100-Prohibits state, county, city, town, municipal or other state political subdivision from imposing any new tax, fee, or other conveyance of any interest in real estate after December 31, 2007.

This one will add an amendment to the state constitution banning any future real estate sales tax. Most of the arguments were for this one. No one wants to see new taxes. The only arguments against were from the Arizona Education Association basically saying that we are in a huge deficit and may need the tax one day.

Prop 101- The freedom of choice in health care act

From what I gather, this is basically to ensure that Arizona never participates in nationalized heath care or socialized medicine. Groups such as the Arizona Medical Association and the Arizona Dental Association are for this one. Groups such as the "Arizona Coalition for a State and National Health Plan" are against. One woman, the president of the Arizona Republican Assembly argues against it and her argument is that if the state controlled health care, there would be less abortions allowed. That one is kind of a stretch in my opinion.

The thing I find interesting on this one is that if this proposition passes and the country ends up with a nationalized health care plan, Arizona would be exempt from it. Then it would be interesting to really see what works better.

Prop 102- Adds an amendment to the state constitution that defines that only a union of one man and one woman shall be valid or recognized as a marriage in this state.

I think this one is pretty self explanatory. It is actually one that I want to stay out of publicly. I already voted and decided not to tell anyone how I voted on this one, not my ward members, not my gay friends and co-workers and not my polygamist family members (kidding).

Prop-105-Majority Rule- let the people decide act proposing an amendment to the constitution of Arizona relating to initiative measures and requiring that any mandatory tax or spending increase be enacted by a majority of qualified electors.

This would require that any ballot initiative having to do with taxes or spending must pass by a majority of all registered voters. Basically if you vote yes on an initiative, that vote will be cancelled out by Joe Schmoe who didn't get off his couch to go vote (or moved out of the district or just died). If you feel that strongly against propositions that raise taxes and spending, get off your behind and go vote.

Prop 200-The Payday Loan Reform Act

Despite the commercials you have seen on this one, this initiative was written and funded by the payday loan companies. If this doesn't pass, they will lose their license in this state and cease to exist in 2010. If it passes, they will remain in business but some (not all, by a long shot) of their predatory practices will be reformed. Don't get me wrong, I am torn on this one. I believe that Payday loan places are inherently evil, along with sub prime lenders, credit card companies and car dealerships. But if we shut them all down that would be a lot of jobs lost. The people that open these places have definitely found a business niche and the people that barrow from them have no excuse for not knowing what they are getting into (I'm heartless, I know).

Basically, it irks me to hear the ads for this one trying to sound like they are against the evil payday loan places when they are the ones pushing this proposition. They think voters are stupid, I guess.

Prop 201-The Homeowners Bill of Rights

This one was very complicated and I found a lot of it hard to understand. Basically, what it comes down to is a "yes" vote is a win for the trial lawyers and a "no" vote is a win for the home builders.

Too bad there is no option that is a win for the homeowners. I voted no because I hate frivolous lawsuits.

Prop 202-Modifies laws that suspend or revoke business licenses for employers who knowingly or intentionally employ an unauthorized alien; increases penalties on identity theft related to employment; add fines on employers who pay improperly reported cash wages; establishes presumption favoring employer that verifies employee eligibility under federal law.

I am pretty sure this one is misrepresented as well. All of the people that argue for this one are people and groups who have fought hard against the Employer Sanctions Law that is already on the books. Sounds shady to me.

Prop 300-Provides for an increase in the salaries of state legislators from $24,000 to $30,000 per year.

I think they try this one every election year and it never seems to pass. $24,000 doesn't seem like a big salary for a year, but we aren't talking about a year. It is a job that is supposed to be 100 days max a year.

Ok, so now you heard the ballot initiatives summed up by your average Mormon, mommy, union member, political junkie capitalist.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad it's almost over. I voted no on 201 too. I heard it's just awful for people in construction, and that all it would do is raise home prices by like 25%, to cover stupid law suits.

Thomas Family said...

Just a thought. Do not ever be afraid to be public about something as important as prop 102. If its good enough for our leaders to come out and say how they are voting and that "if we want to follow the bretheren we should vote yes on prop 202" then I think we should be as loud and clear as possible on the matter. Heck, get a big sign and place it in the front yard. Do not be worried about what others may think of you, only one persons opinion really matters. Just a thought :)

Jake said...

On 201:

The basic premise behind 201 is builders would be forced to give a 10 year warranty on new homes. According to a general contractor friend, this would cripple the already weakening construction industry. We're talking about tens of thousands of dollars of repairs (roof, water heater, cracked tiles, cracks from foundation settling), just in routine repairs.

The effect is that new home prices will go through the roof. Are construction companies going to eat the extra money they're spending on repairs? Of course not, they're passing it straight to you, the home buyer. There are 3rd party home warranty companies out there, so the option is out there. We had a warranty on our home in Tucson. The bottom line is that the homeowner should have the choice whether to pay extra for a warranty.

About trial lawyers: The effect that this has on trial lawyers is not as much as the signs and commercials want you to believe. There would be more lawsuits against builders that refused to honor warranties, but there aren't too many greedy trial lawyers that want to go to court to litigate about whether their client deserves a new roof. I am a construction lawyer, and I don't know any lawyers that are hoping this passes. And on that note, just remember that behind every frivolous lawsuit and greedy lawyer, there is a greedy client. Also, I think the media often makes lawsuits sound a lot more frivolous than they really are. They never explain that the lady suing walmart after slipping on the recently mopped floor can no longer sit without discomfort, and will never run again.

Jillsywillsy said...

Thanks Jake, I probably should have asked you in the first place to explain it to me.

You are totally right.