So, I actually picked up the newspaper on Sunday and began reading. The front page had an article titled After Raid, Other Polygamists Fearful. I thought, "Oh great, here goes the republic again, defending all law-breakers. (If you aren't familiar with this paper, they are more than happy to spu anti-Mormon crap but when it comes to real polygamists apparently they are very defensive) Anyways, I read the whole article and the next one titled Family defends Polygamy. Calls it a culture of Love.
Both articles described a place called Centennial Park which I am assuming is in northern Arizona. The women are educated and have good jobs. They date and marry as adults. There are no child brides. This group calls themselves the Work of Jesus Christ. They broke away from the FLDS years ago. With so much media attention on the latter group and now these articles it got me thinking, what kind of polygamists were my ancestors?
I would like to think that my great, great Grandmother wasn't forced into marriage at a young age. I wonder if she was encouraged to become education. Was she happy? If I can convince myself that she and her sister-wives were more like the Centennial Park women as opposed to the Colorado City/ El Dorado ones, then I can feel a little better about the whole thing.
1 comment:
I watched a special on Oprah and they had some polygamists on who were upper class, I'm not sure where they were from. It was very interesting and gave me a different view of it all. Some of the things really made sense to me. Hey, if I had 2 other women in the house I would only have to do 1/3 of the work!
Post a Comment