Saturday, April 19, 2008

General Conference

I know this is kind of late, but can I just say that I LOVED Elder Ballard's talk on Sunday afternoon. Here are some of my favorite parts:

  • There is no one perfect way to be a good mother. Each situation is unique. Each mother has different challenges, different skills and abilities, and certainly different children. The choice is different and unique for each mother and each family. Many are able to be “full-time moms,” at least during the most formative years of their children’s lives, and many others would like to be. Some may have to work part- or full-time; some may work at home; some may divide their lives into periods of home and family and work. What matters is that a mother loves her children deeply and, in keeping with the devotion she has for God and her husband, prioritizes them above all else.
  • What more can a husband do to support his wife, the mother of their children?
    First, show extra appreciation and give more validation for what your wife does every day. Notice things and say thank you—often. Schedule some evenings together, just the two of you.
    Second, have a regular time to talk with your wife about each child’s needs and what you can do to help.
    Third, give your wife a “day away” now and then. Just take over the household and give your wife a break from her daily responsibilities. Taking over for a while will greatly enhance your appreciation of what your wife does. You may do a lot of lifting, twisting, and bending!
    Fourth, come home from work and take an active role with your family. Don’t put work, friends, or sports ahead of listening to, playing with, and teaching your children.

3 comments:

Robin said...

Amen and Hallelujah! It was pretty much the best talk ever. I need to print it out for Trent and I to read often!

stephanie said...

it was such a great talk. my favorite part was when he talked to the little kids and told them to pick up their toys and make their beds. i loved it!

Macey said...

Thanks for posting those quotes-I loved when he talked about sacrament mtg with his 6 kids while his wife was on the stand smiling/probably laughing at him.